sew she knits

yarn, needles, more yarn...

Thursday, March 31, 2005

San Antonio Sock

San Antonio Sock
San Antonio Sock,
originally uploaded by sewsheknits.
So much for not starting a new project until finishing those already begun! San Antonio was wonderful...lots of sun and everything was blooming including the Bluebonnets! My family graciously allowed me to find the one and only LYS in the city. "The Yarn Barn" proved to be a real treasure. With no project in mind (a dangerous position for a knitter), I wandered around the shop gazing at the amazing color choices and touching almost every skein I passed. Overwhelmed, I made a very brave last second decision to knit my first pair of socks. This truly must have been a moment of temporary insanity because I certainly know better than to make such a hasty decision. However, my cheery declaration of wanting to knit my first sock was met with an even more cheery welcome from one of the employees who quickly steered me towards a simple pattern and beautiful tiny little size 2 bamboo needles. I'm not sure how it happened but the yarn was already in my hands when she handed me those little needles so I know it was some sort of unconscious decision on my part. Even temporarily insane, I managed to choose a gorgeous skein of Cherry Tree Hill Merino in the colors that will forever remind me of my San Antonio vacation. The oh-so-helpful clerk turned that beautiful skein into the workable ball of yarn that called to me from my knitting bag all the way to the airport. My aisle seat gave me the elbow room I would need even if I was hampered by the very large tank top wearing fellow in the seat on my right. I enjoyed every moment of casting on those tiny stitches and continued to work my way through those first ten rows of ribbing. We were in the air an extra hour or so due to rough weather in Chicago but I wouldn't have minded an even longer wait. I can tell that there are going to be quite a few handknit socks in my future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home